Sunday, June 7, 2015

"Youthful Admiration"

8"x 10"
acrylic on hardboard
When I paint a gallery scene, I break it into parts.  I begin with the recognizable painting, which has to connect to the viewer.  The viewer (figure) is painted second.  The background wall, and the floor are then painted.  I’m always nervous about how to make a wall of color interesting, but not overpowering at the same time.  Last I paint any reflections or shadows on the floor.  These are the details that make the viewer look as if they are in the gallery.  When it works it works.  When it doesn’t, I keep painting.  This is a study in contrasts.  I thought these three young people cleverly connect with one another.  For me, museum paintings are mostly about the artwork viewing the person.  Instead of the person viewing the artwork.
SOLD

1 comment:

suzanneberry said...

This is incredible Felicia!!!! just incredible. hope you're doing well.
enjoy the summer.